The present site of Matraville Soldiers' Settlement in 1917 was a "barren wasteland of sand dunes, low scrub and swamp in wet weather.
The land was dedicated by the State Government under the Returned Services Holdings Act, also in 1917. Building began in 1919.
The aim of the settlement was to provide housing for the disabled servicemen and the widows of men who died in World War 1. The official name was "The Matraville Soldiers' Garden Village".
The labour for all the work and for a large part of the materials was either voluntarily contributed or paid by for voluntary subscriptions.
The land was acquired by the Housing Commission in the mid – 1970's and the homes were demolished as residents were relocated or died. All that remains of "The Matraville Soldiers' Garden Village is one cottage that has been restored and preserved by the National Trust and the original school building on the Infants' site of Matraville Soldiers' Settlement School.
An application was made by Mr JR Lee MLA in 1924 to open a Kindergarten School at Matraville Soldiers' Garden Village.
The school was completed in May 1927 and opened in July 1927.
Miss Vera Stephen was the first teacher with an enrolment of 40 students.
In 1936 Matraville Soldiers' Settlement Kindergarten School became an annex of Malabar School.
In 1946 the school again became a separate entity as Matraville Soldiers' Settlement Infants School. A portable classroom was added to the site in the early 50's this was used as a pre-school.
In 1952 additional land was acquired (the present primary site) and building commenced on two brick classrooms in 1954.
In 1970 a two classroom block, a single classroom block and assembly hall were erected on the Primary site and a two classroom block was erected on the Infants site.
In 1997 the two sites were amalgamated onto the one present site, and the refurbished and new buildings were officially opened in 1998.The local community is now proud of the modern quality facility with excellent classrooms, Library, Hall, attached Pre-School, Before and After School Care Centre and playground areas that we now enjoy.
Early in 2010 the Building Education Revolution funding provided for a refurbishment of facilities across the school including two new classrooms, a technology room, hall refurbishment as well as many smaller projects to enhance our learning environment.